Spring is in the air, and what better way to enjoy the beautiful, warm Florida evenings than by indulging in a steak, pear, and gorgonzola flatbread – possibly poolside. Best of all, the flatbread recipe comes together in under 20 minutes thanks to leftover steak and the help of a few prepared ingredients from the grocery store.
I start with a base of cream cheese followed by shredded mozzarella and gorgonzola cheese. Then, I layer on the steak and slices of pear. The sweetness of the pear complements the “bite” from the gorgonzola cheese, which happens to be from the blue cheese family. In case you are not familiar, it’s a milder taste yet a cousin of the ultra-pungent and sometimes “stinky” cheese. All the flavors of this flatbread hit the five basic tastes our taste buds typically sense: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami. That’s why this flavor combination pairs so well together.
You might not realize it, but you can find pre-baked, prepared flatbreads in the deli area at Publix. The flatbreads are typically mixed in with the wraps near an end cap. This particular recipe was written to make one flatbread, which works as an appetizer for 2-4 people or a meal for one adult. Balsamic glaze differs from traditional balsamic vinegar. The glaze is much thicker than traditional vinegar and tends to be on the sweeter side. You can find a small bottle in the oil and vinegar section of the store.
If you find yourself with leftover steak, I challenge you to give this flatbread a try. Whether you are going to enjoy the flatbread as lunch or dinner by yourself or serve a few of these to your family as an appetizer before dinner, I hope you can enjoy the delightful April weather and a delicious steak flatbread.
Steak, Pear, and Gorgonzola Flatbread Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
- 1 prepared flatbread
- 3 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- ¼-cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons gorgonzola, crumbled
- 3 oz. leftover cooked steak, thinly sliced
- ½ of a pear, thinly sliced
- ¼-cup arugula
- balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pre-bake the flatbread according to the package (about 2 minutes).
- Once the flatbread is done pre baking, spread cream cheese on the flatbread followed by shredded mozzarella and crumbled gorgonzola. Place pears and steak on top of the cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven, top with arugula, and drizzle balsamic glaze on top. Enjoy immediately.