I think it’s safe to say we all are happy to welcome spring. With a colder-than-usual winter, I was more than ready to have the warmer temperatures back. We are nearing the end of Florida strawberry season and the beginning of our very short blueberry season. With Easter next month and Mother’s Day the following month, I wanted to share with you one of my go-to, easy dessert recipes. This dessert is light, fluffy, and semi-homemade. The star of the dessert is the berries, of course. But the real MVP in this dessert recipe is the angel food cake. Best of all, you can purchase an angel food cake at the Publix bakery.
The entire dessert takes roughly 15 minutes to prepare. You make a filling that consists of crushed pineapple, instant pudding, and Cool Whip. I know what you might be thinking – what an odd combination! But trust me, it’s a delicious combo that works really well. The filling balances out the light and airy angel food cake. The berries give the cake life with their bright and bold colors. You simply slice the cake into two pieces, layer on the cream, refrigerate, and then, right before serving, top with fresh berries.
Whether you decide to venture out and pick your own strawberries at a U-Pick nearby, purchase from the farmer’s market, or simply buy them from the store, you have to give my Angel Lush Cake recipe a try. I hope you’ll find this recipe useful this spring as we enjoy the warmer weather.
Angel Lush Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
- 20 oz. crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1.5 oz. vanilla flavored, fat-free, sugar-free instant pudding
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip Lite whipped topping
- 1 10 oz. round angel food cake
- 1 cup mixed berries: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black berries
- Mix the crushed, canned pineapple and dry pudding mix in a bowl until well blended. Then, stir in Cool Whip. Set to the side.
- Slice the round angel food cake in half. Then, add the bottom layer of cake to a cake plate followed by half the pineapple topping.
- Next, stack the top layer of the cake and spread the remaining pineapple topping on top.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Top with berries just before serving.