Our Florida strawberry season is slowly starting to wrap up. But before it comes to an end, you have to make my recipe for Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken. Spice up the basic grilled chicken with a strawberry caprese salad on top. Top the grilled chicken with a drizzle of balsamic reduction to make this quick and healthy dinner complete! I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure if my husband would be good with fruit on his chicken. After his first bite, he was hooked. He loved it and actually went for seconds and even thirds of the strawberry mozzarella topping. Who knew pairing chicken with strawberries would taste so good?
I bet you didn’t realize that when you select fresh Florida strawberries, you are getting an abundance of nutritional benefits. Did you know that just eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange.* So, just think, you’re getting a nice little immunity booster while you eat dinner (or lunch). Which, let’s face it – with this intense cold-and-flu season we need all the help we can get with boosting our immune systems. A few more facts about strawberries: They are virtually fat free, they contain no cholesterol, and they are an excellent source of folic acid that helps the body metabolize protein.* They are a good source of potassium, too.
Let’s talk about this chicken dish a little more. I found that drizzling a little balsamic reduction sauce on top of the strawberry mozzarella topping added the perfect extra zing to the dish! Balsamic vinegar complements strawberries very well. This recipe calls for a balsamic reduction sauce. You can make it from scratch by bringing equal parts balsamic vinegar and white granulated sugar to a boil, then simmering until it becomes thick (stir it frequently so it doesn’t burn). However, it can be a very stinky process. I’ve stopped making my own and just buy it from the store. You can find the already made glaze in the vinegar aisle at your local Publix. It comes in a black squeeze bottle and is worth every penny. Once you own it, you’ll find yourself drizzling balsamic glaze on just about everything! Embrace the fruit of the season and change up your dinnertime (or lunchtime) routine. Run (don’t walk) and grab strawberries fresh from Florida and make my Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken.
*Facts provided by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association
Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 pint strawberries, stems removed and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Balsamic reduction for topping
- Preheat the grill on high heat.
- While the grill heats, rinse and pat dry the chicken breast. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil on top and season with McCormick Garlic & Herb Seasoning. Set to the side.
- Rinse, slice stems, and dice strawberries. Place in a bowl. Then add the diced mozzarella cheese and chiffonade basil leaves. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on top and mix well. Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Reduce the heat on the grill to low; grill chicken for 15 minutes, turning once until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the grill and let rest for a few minutes.
- Place chicken on a platter. Top with strawberry mozzarella topping and drizzle balsamic reduction over strawberries and chicken. Enjoy immediately.
Notes: You will have some strawberry mozzarella topping left over. Divide evenly among plates.