As we enter July, I find my family grilling out most evenings. My recipe for grilled chicken fajitas is the ideal no-mess (very little cleanup) kind of meal, perfect for a quick weeknight meal, and best of all contained on the grill! I’ve been making grilled chicken fajitas on the grill for the past few years. Since making them on the grill, I can honestly say I can’t remember the last time I made chicken fajitas on the stove top. True story. You see, my grilled chicken fajitas can be prepared 100% on the grill. I marinate the chicken in fajita seasoning and grapeseed oil in a plastic bag a few hours before I want to grill (or even 24 hours before grilling). If I prep the chicken the night before, I try to get ahead of the game and prep the onions and peppers, too. Slice them up and place them in a plastic bag with more fajita seasoning and grapeseed oil. I cook them with grapeseed oil because grapeseed oil has a high smoke point, so your food is less likely to burn.
If you prep ahead of time, all you’ll need to do is pull out the chicken and veggies when it’s time for dinner. Grill the chicken, place the onions and peppers in a veggie basket, and wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil. I grill everything on low on the grill, and within 15-20 minutes dinner is served! I also recommend placing the tortillas on the grill in indirect heat just before you’re ready to serve dinner (it will only take a few minutes to get them warm).
Don’t forget to grab sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, and hot sauce at Publix. You can serve the chicken fajitas with a side of chips and salsa, a salad, or even rice and beans. If you’re looking to simplify summer dinner and want to spice things up on the grill, I hope you’ll try my recipe for grilled chicken fajitas!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
• 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
• 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning, divided
• 1 of each: red, yellow, orange, and green bell peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 red onion, sliced in quarters
• 12 flour tortillas (use corn tortillas to make these gluten free)
• Sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, and hot sauce (optional)
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Place the chicken in a ziplock, gallon-size bag. Place one tablespoon grapeseed oil in the bag. Coat chicken with oil and sprinkle one tablespoon fajita seasoning. Seal bag and mix with hands to ensure the seasoning is coated all over chicken. Place in refrigerator until ready to cook (can be done up to 24 hours).
2. Place sliced bell peppers and red onion in another ziplock, gallon-size bag. Place the remaining one tablespoon grapeseed oil and fajita seasoning in the bag. Seal and mix well (refrigerate for up to 24 hours).
3. Preheat the grill to medium heat. Clean grill. Once the grill reaches 350 degrees, reduce the heat to low and place the vegetables in vegetable basket. Then, place the chicken on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, flip chicken and cook an additional 10 minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken breast. Chicken should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit. While chicken cooks, stir the onions and peppers every 5 minutes to ensure they cook evenly and do not burn.
4. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, place tortillas in aluminum foil and place on the top rack of the grill (in indirect heat) with lid closed. Remove chicken and tortillas from grill. Let rest 2-4 minutes. Slice chicken and place on a platter or in a large bowl with vegetables. Assemble fajitas and add your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese and hot sauce!
Note: You can use corn tortillas to make the fajitas gluten free. Always make your own seasoning or check the packaging of the fajita seasoning to ensure that it’s gluten free!