October is one of my favorite months of the years. I LOVE Halloween. I love all things fall, even though we pretty much are still sweating through the “fall” months. You will find my family and I enjoy all the fall-like activities throughout the month of October here and around the Nonahood. I have our calendar packed just about every weekend.
To end the month, we throw a fun, kid-friendly Halloween party. Prior to kids, we had an annual Halloween party, and although our parties changed drastically … I absolutely love our family party. We bob for apples, play mummy bowling, and have a Halloween piñata, to name a few of the activities at our party. No party is complete without my Halloween Snack Mix recipe.
This snack mix is the perfect way to use up some Halloween candy and fill stomachs with other snacks like popcorn, Chex cereal, Bugles, and pretzels. My kids go crazy for the snack mix.
In my typical fashion, I make it for just about every holiday we celebrate. I just change out the white chocolate, sprinkles, and obviously the gummy eyeballs and zombie hands! Best of all, you can get the kids involved with this recipe. They can help measure ingredients and drizzle on the white chocolate. Then, they have to practice patience while they wait for the popcorn to chill in the refrigerator and for the chocolate to set.
If you love all things fall and Halloween, here are a few of my family’s favorite activities that you can enjoy with your friends and family: Back To Nature Wildlife Refuge (10525 Clapp Simms Duda Road, Orlando 32832) is hosting “Owloween” from 2-6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 12. For a little bit of a longer drive, you can head to Hastings Fall Festival and Corn Maze (5452 Jones Rd., Saint Cloud 34769) on Oct. 12-13, 19-20, and 26-27. For an even further drive, you can head to Partin Ranch Corn Maze (5452 Jones Rd., Saint Cloud 34769) on Oct. 12-13, 19-20, 26-27, and Nov. 2-3.
Pro tip: Whenever you’re planning to go to any fall festivals, always check social media first to make sure the event is still on. For instance, Partin Ranch will post on their Facebook page if they cannot open for the weekend.
So, if you’re heading out to a fall festival this month or attending a party, I hope you’ll make a big batch of my Halloween Snack Mix!
Yield: 24 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups Plain Chex cereal
- 3 cups Bugles
- 2 cups Tiny Twist pretzels
- 2 cups Chocolate Covered Pretzel Monster Bites
- 12 mini Peanut Butter Cups
- 12 pieces of Whoppers
- 12 mini Kit Kats
- 12 mini Hershey Bar Rectangles
- 12 Milk Duds
- 1 oz. Wilton Orange White Chocolate Melts
- 1 oz. Wilton Green White Chocolate Melts
- 1 oz. Wilton Purple White Chocolate Melts
- 2 tablespoons Halloween sprinkles
- 12 Gummy Eyeballs
- 4 Gummy Zombie Hands
- In a large bowl, combine the popcorn, plain Chex cereal, Bugles, and plain pretzels. Mix well, then add in the Chocolate Covered Pretzel Monster Bites, plus all the mini chocolate bars. Toss again (make sure you save half the candy for the top layer since it’s heavier; it will immediately sink to the bottom when you start to toss).
- Melt the chocolate melts separately and drizzle on top of the mix. Then sprinkle with sprinkles. Set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes so the white chocolate hardens.
- Lastly, add in the gummy eyeballs and gummy zombie hands. Set out for friends and family to enjoy OR scoop into bags to hand out at a party.
Note: Any chocolate candies will work. I just wanted to share what I like to put in our Halloween Snack Mix!