Raise your hand if you struggle with breakfast. Me!!! I do a fantastic job of feeding my children and husband every morning. But by the time I get around to making myself something for breakfast, I’m already in need of running out the door. I’ve started making myself a few jars of overnight oats each week so that I can them grab and go. I immediately grab a jar from the refrigerator the minute I start working on breakfast for my family. That way, I can slowly eat a bite here or there while I cook for everyone. By the time we are ready to leave for school, I’m done with my breakfast. Or, on the really crazy mornings, I just take the jar in the car with me.
My go-to favorite overnight oat recipe is Chocolate Strawberry Overnight Oats. I can actually feel good about eating chocolate for breakfast! I personally love the chocolate/strawberry combo. It’s strawberry season in Florida, so I found it only fitting to incorporate fresh strawberries into my overnight oats recipe. You can pick them locally (we like to drive out to Pappy’s U-Pick in Oviedo) or buy them at the farmer’s market or in the grocery store. I love this time of year since strawberries are so cheap. We go through a few containers a week in my house.
For this recipe, I like to use organic lowfat strawberry yogurt to really intensify the strawberry flavor. I like to buy a quart of yogurt. (It’s more cost-effective, and then I can make yogurt parfaits for myself and the kids, too.)
A few years ago, I learned about strawberry honey during one of our strawberry picking trips. I was instantly obsessed. It has a hint of strawberry in the honey, which makes it perfect for this overnight oats recipe. You can also find strawberry honey at the Saturday farmer’s market at Valencia. If you don’t have access to strawberry honey, don’t sweat it. You can use any neutral-flavored honey for this recipe. Just remember that the flavors of the overnight oats could be altered depending on the type of honey used.
If you’re looking to switch up your breakfast routine or just trying to feed yourself on a busy morning, I hope you’ll take advantage of Florida strawberry season and try my recipe for Chocolate Strawberry Overnight Oats.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons flax, chia coconut blend
- 1/2 cup organic low-fat strawberry yogurt
- 1/2 cup organic 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon raw strawberry honey
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 16 fresh strawberries, washed, diced, and divided
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, divided
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flax, chia coconut blend, strawberry yogurt, milk, honey, and cocoa powder.
- Rinse and dice the strawberries. Set to the side.
- Place a thin layer of fresh strawberries at the bottom of two mason jars. Then layer a few spoonfuls of oatmeal into each glass. Add another layer of fresh strawberries, followed by the remaining oatmeal.
- Top each jar with additional strawberries and 1 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips per mason jar. Place in refrigerator overnight and enjoy the next morning.
Katie Jasiewicz is a full-time food blogger and recipe developer at KatiesCucina.com, a recipe blog that provides family-friendly, easy-to-make recipes that anyone can make. Join her on her culinary adventure, where life always tastes good.